Your Dogs Water Bowl The hidden biohazard

No not the cute dog; the water bowl!

Have you ever felt the bowl after your dogs drank it? Have you felt that slime type substance on the surface?

If you have then like many others you're probably wondering what it is, In simple terms it’s a biofilm, this is a surface layer of bacteria! This bacteria is home to both good and bad bacteria but the bad often outweighs the good. Bacteria such as Listeria, E. coli, and legionella call the biofilm home.

This is why some dogs are getting sick of suffering with ailments such as but not limited to;

Urinary Tract Infections(UTI’s)

Bladder Infections

Ear Infections

Tear Stains

Periodontal Disease

Renal Failure


Yeast Infections

Many owners are simply topping the water bowl up each day which is fueling the growth of the bacteria, we must stress that this biofilm is often clear and cannot be seen so just because it looks clean does not mean that it is!

It’s important to wash your dog's water bowl each day with hot soapy water.

Other water sources

It’s important to never let your dog drink from puddles or local bodys of water such as reservoirs, if you do you’re increasing the risk of your dog coming into contact with Leptospirosis and Giardia for example, along with parvovirus and even distemper!

Remember some of these dogs are vaccinated against however it doesn’t stop them contracting, carrying and passing onto others!